Category: 2 – BUY it!* (All Categories are 1 – Read ASAP!, 2 – BUY it!, 3 – SHELF it, 4 – SOMEDAY it)
Comments: Dan Pink, like the Heath brothers, is a specialist at condensing tons of great research into a few digestible ideas. He does that again by bringing together a ton of great research on timing with “When.”
Top 3 Lessons: I’ve gone with 5 as there were many cool nuggets.
- All studies on energy show a spike in the morning, a trough in the afternoon and a rebound in the evening. This is because nearly 70% of the population are “larks” and have spikes in the morning (stays true for most of life except in our teenage years – where most of us become “owls”). The afternoon trough is dangerous – more surgery mistakes, more accidents, and lower test scores.
- American Association of Pediatrics in 2014 and even the CDC have issued guidance that middle schools and upward should have starting times after 830. Starting early for kids who are going through prime owl years is a recipe for lower test scores, tardiness, less learning and even more accidents.
- Endings matter a lot. At the end of your week, note what you have accomplished, plan the next day, and send a thank you to someone.
- Managers email response time to their subordinates was a leading indicator of their subordinates happiness. (Fascinating)
- Living in the present isn’t always great advice. Instead, life requires us to integrate our past, present and future.
Book notes here.