Category: 3 – SHELF it (All Categories are 1 – Read ASAP!, 2 – BUY it!, 3 – SHELF it, 4 – SOMEDAY it)
Comments: Competing Against Luck is intended to be an introduction to the “Job to be done” framework. It was an interesting read – however, it was less sticky than I hoped.
Insights that resonated:
How do you figure out the job to be done? It involves asking 5 questions –
- What progress is that person trying to achieve? (Functional, social, emotional)
- What are the circumstances of the struggle?
- What obstacles are getting in the way of the person making progress?
- Are consumers making do with imperfect solutions or cobbling together hacks?
- How would they define what quality means and what trade-offs are they willing to make?